The United States of America is one of the most popular destinations in the world. There are so many interesting and unique places to visit in the US that people love to visit the place multiple times. Moreover, having a US tourist visa stamp on your passport is considered a status symbol in many countries. It also opens doors to many other countries, without the need to apply for a visa for the same. But what happens when your US tourist visa expires? Do you apply for a new one or can the existing one be extended or renewed? Yes, it is possible to renew the existing US Visit visa. Here you will find all the information about US tourist visa extension or renewal.
US Visa Renewal Process
Before you start the US visa renewal application process, you need to know if you are eligible for the same.
- You can only renew a visa that you had previously. For instance, you can apply for a B2 visa renewal, if your previous US visa was B2. You cannot apply for a B1 visa or any other visa if you had a B2 visa previously. In this case, you need to submit a fresh application.
- You cannot renew your US tourist visa while you are in the US. You need to do this from your home country. For example, if your home country is Dubai, you must apply for a renewal of your US visa from Dubai. Only diplomatic visa holders and their dependents have the permit to renew them in the United States.
- If you had applied for a US visa recently, which was denied by the US embassy, you will not be eligible for renewal.
- It is important to ensure that you fulfill all the requirements for the visa you are reapplying.
- For US visa renewal, you need to make the reapplication before 48 months from the date of expiration. In some cases, US visas can be renewed even after 48 months. You will have to check with the US embassy in your country for the same.
Steps to Follow while Applying for US Visa Renewal/ Extension
Here are the steps that you need to follow while renewing your US visa.
- The first step is to download the US visa application form, fill it out, and submit it.
- The next step is to schedule a visa interview at the US consulate or embassy. Most people trying to renew their US visas will have to attend the interview again. If you want to apply for visa without interview, you need to enquire about the same at the embassy or consulate.
- Once you have scheduled your interview, the next step is to pay the visa fee. You can either do it online through a debit or credit card or pay directly at the consulate or embassy before your interview.
- After the payment is done, it is time to submit all your documents. You would have submitted your documents the first time as well. But it does not mean that you can skip this step during the renewal process. Ensure that all your documents are in the correct order.
- The final step in the US visa renewal process is attending the interview. Ensure that you follow all the protocols and reach the US embassy or consulate on time for your interview.
Documents Required for US Visa Extension Application
Just like the first time, you need to submit certain documents while renewing your US visa. Here are the documents you have to submit for completing your US visa renewal process.
- Form DS-160: To renew your US visa, you need to submit DS-160, the same application form that you submitted the first time. You can download the online form from the website and once submitted, you need to take a printout of the confirmation page.
- Original Passport: You have to submit your passport while applying for US visa renewal. The passport should have at least 6 months of validity from the time of return from the US. Along with your current passport, you also have to submit any old passport that has a US visa stamp on it.
- Photographs: Along with the application form, you need to attach 2 passport-size photographs. The photo should be a recent one, i.e., not more than 6 months old. It should be colored and taken against a white background. You should have a neutral expression and look directly at the camera. Both your eyes should be open and the head should cover the maximum part of the photograph. Also, there should be no shadows on the photo.
- Visa Fee Receipt: Once you pay the US visa fee, you will receive a receipt for the same. You need to take a printout of the receipt and submit it along with the other documents.
- Additional Documents: You may be asked to submit some additional documents along with the ones mentioned above by the US consulate or embassy.
Attend the US Visa Renewal Interview
In most cases, people applying for a US visa renewal will have to attend a visa interview. It is important to arrive before the scheduled interview time. Do carry all the original documents, even if you have submitted the soft copies online. The interviewer will ask questions about the purpose of your trip, how long you will be staying in the US, etc. You may have to answer some personal questions about salary and relationships as well. Answer all the questions honestly and confidently.
Once all the procedures are done, you will receive your US visa stamp anywhere between a week to months, depending on how honest and correct your information are. If you find the US visa renewal process confusing or tiring, you can approach a reputed visa company that will support and guide you through the US visa extension process.